Landmark Victorian Gender Equality Strategy launched
Addressing gender inequality is crucial if we are serious about ending violence against women. Bad attitudes towards women are the basis for family violence - Fiona Richardson MP.
Safe and Strong: A Victorian Gender Equality Strategy was launched Monday 5 December 2016 by Fiona Richardson MP (Minister for the Prevention of Family Violence and Minister for Women) on behalf of the Andrews Labor Government. The first ever strategy of its kind, it is driven by the recognition that gender inequality is one of the key drivers of family violence.
Notable reforms and initiatives included in the strategy are:
- A Gender Equality Act, which will enshrine gender equality in our constitution, and;
- A dedicated agency for the prevention of family violence.
And, from the State Government's media release:
- Reviewing laws against sexist advertising and gender based hate speech;
- Gender audits across government and the public sector to create inclusive and flexible workplaces;
- Scholarships to encourage young and emerging women leaders;
- Gender equality programs in grassroots sporting clubs;
- HERPlace - a women's heritage centre;
- Hosting the first all women trade delegation to China, and;
- Promoting women's cultural activities, art and media.